With so many houses to choose from, make sure you take time to analyze your needs before you make a decision. Clearly identify which criteria are most important to you and which ones you’re willing to sacrifice.
- Type of home
- New or existing home?
The location of your future residence is a factor that requires particular attention.
6 questions to help you find the ideal location
- How much time can you devote to getting to work?
- What means of transportation will you use to get to work?
- What local services are nearby (daycare centres, schools, hospitals, businesses, parks, transit system, movie theatres, restaurants)?
- What is the value of neighbourhood homes?
- Has the value of homes in the neighbourhood gone up or down?
- Is the neighbourhood safe and quiet?
Type of home
Take the time to choose the home that best meets your tastes and needs. There are several types of homes, each with their own advantages and reflective of different lifestyles. For example:
- single family home (cottages, bungalows)
- semi-detached homes
- undivided co-ownership
5 questions to help you select the type of home for you
- Do you need a lot of privacy
- Would you mind sharing space with possible neighbours or renters?
- How much time will you have to devote to home maintenance?
- Do you need large rooms?
- Do you want a big yard?
New or existing home?
Compare the advantages
- Possibility to improve or choose the following: exterior siding, flooring, plumbing and electrical accessories.
- Built according to recent standards (building, electricity, energy efficiency).
- Builder’s guarantee.
- Established area.
- Landscaped and fenced yard.
- Can include certain additions (in-ground pool, basement, etc.).
- In case of major renovations, can be considered as a new home and GST applies.