Loan Insurance – Versatile Line of Credit
Helps you meet your payment obligations on your Versatile Line of Credit in the event of death or disability and offers basic financial support in the event of a cancer diagnosis.
With Loan Insurance – Versatile Line of Credit, you get:
- Coverage that allows you to pay your Versatile Line of Credit payments in the event of death, a cancer diagnosis or disability
- A choice of 2 coverages:
- Life insurance (coverage in case of death or a cancer diagnosis)
- Disability insurance (coverage in case of accident or illness)
- Insurance selections that apply automatically to all amounts borrowed; no need to go to the caisse to insure new amounts borrowed against the Versatile Line of Credit
- The benefit of only having to provide proof of good health once
- Insurance premiums that are included in the instalment payments and automatically adjusted based on the amount borrowed
- Benefits that are paid for the entire duration of the total disability or until the debt is completely paid off
- Non-taxable benefits that aren’t reduced by any amounts received from other private or public plans
- Free access to certain telephone assistance services offered under the Guide, Protect and Support Program:
- Persons eligible: borrowers, their spouses or guarantors
- Life insurance: must be under age 70
- Disability insurance: must be under age 65 and already enrolled in life insurance
Eligibility is determined on the basis of a few questions asked when applying for the loan. Depending on the answers, you’ll find out right away if you’re eligible, or whether an insurability report needs to be submitted.
- In the event of death, the line of credit and linked loans are paid off, up to a maximum of $10,000,000[ 1 ] per participant
- In the event of a cancer diagnosis or recurrence[ 2 ] that occurs on or after November 1, 2012, a lump sum equal to 6 monthly loan payments[ 3 ] (or 3 monthly payments[ 3 ] if age 55 or older) is paid
Maximum of $45,000 per participant ($22,500 if age 55 or older)
- In the event of disability, the insured portion of the instalment payments for the linked loans is paid off, as is the insured portion of the monthly payments, over a 10-year period, up to $7,500[ 1 ] per month, per participant
- Option to cover up to 150% of the instalment payments, making it possible to continue paying off the Versatile Line of Credit as well as other expenses related to the upkeep of the property (municipal and school taxes, electricity, heating, etc.)
- For all Loan Insurance or Line of Credit Insurance policies issued by the insurer.
- Cancer recurrence: a cancer diagnosis occurring more than 60 months after treatment for a previous cancer diagnosis has ended.
- For the line of credit portion, the monthly payment is calculated by amortizing the debt over a 10-year period.
- The premium is included in the instalment payments in the form of an additional interest rate that varies based on the:
- coverages selected
- insured loan percentage selected
- number of insureds, their age and sex (life insurance)
- Versatile Line of Credit’s initial authorized limit (life insurance)
- linked loan amortization period (disability insurance) – for the line of credit portion, the premium is always calculated on a fixed 10-year amortization period
- smoking habits
- By taking out Loan Insurance – Versatile Line of Credit, you agree to a higher interest rate on your loan. The interest rate on your loan therefore consists of 2 rates combined: the basic interest rate charged by your financial institution plus an additional interest rate for the insurance.
This makes it possible to calculate your premium based on the loan balance owing. Generally, for the linked loans, the premium decreases as the loan balance decreases, since it automatically reflects the principal payments made. For the line of credit, the premium fluctuates based on the amount borrowed. As a result, you pay a fair premium for the real risk that your loan represents.
- “Double coverage” advantage You can get a discount on your life insurance if you enrol in life insurance plus disability insurance
Find out more – Read the Loan Insurance Participant’s Guide
Versatile Line of Credit Insurance is a Desjardins Financial Security Life Assurance Company product. Some restictions apply.