Helps you meet your payment obligations on your loan in the event of death or disability and offers basic financial support in the event of a cancer diagnosis.
With Loan Insurance, you get:
- Coverage that allows you to pay off your loan in the event of death, a cancer diagnosis or disability
- A choice of 2 coverages:
- Life insurance (coverage in case of death or a cancer diagnosis)
- Disability insurance (coverage in case of accident or illness)
- Premium payments are included in the instalment payments and the premium is automatically adjusted based on the loan balance so it’s always proportional to the insured risk
- Non-taxable benefits that aren’t reduced by any amounts received from other private or public plans
- Free access to certain telephone assistance services offered under the Guide, Protect and Support Program:
- Versatile Line of Credit holders: see Loan Insurance – Versatile Line of Credit
- Persons eligible: borrowers, their spouses or guarantors
- Life insurance: must be under age 70
- Disability insurance: must be under age 65 and already enrolled in life insurance
- Eligibility is determined on the basis of a few questions asked when applying for the loan. Depending on the answers, you’ll find out right away if you’re eligible, or whether an insurability report needs to be submitted.
- In the event of death, the insured portion of the loan is paid off, up to a maximum of $10,000,000[ 1 ] per participant
- In the event of a cancer diagnosis or recurrence[ 2 ] that occurs on or after November 1, 2012, a lump sum equal to 6 monthly loan payments (or 3 monthly loan payments if age 55 or older) multiplied by the life insurance percentage is paid
Maximum of $45,000 per participant ($22,500 if age 55 or older)
- In the event of total disability, the insured portion of the instalment payments is paid off, up to a maximum of $7,500[ 1 ] per month, per participant
- Option to enrol in Homeowner Plus Option extended coverage:
- Exclusive offer for mortgage borrowers
- Benefit equal to 150% of the instalment payments (in the event of total disability)
- The insurer makes loan payments on behalf of the insured as long as they remain totally disabled. The insured also receives an additional amount that can be used to cover property upkeep expenses ( e.g., municipal and school taxes, electricity and heating)
- For all Loan Insurance or Line of Credit Insurance policies issued by the insurer.
- Cancer recurrence: a cancer diagnosis occurring more than 60 months after treatment for a previous cancer diagnosis has ended.
- Premiums are calculated based on the:
- loan balance
- coverages selected
- insured loan percentage selected
- number of insureds, their age and sex
- loan amount and amortization period
- smoking habits
- By taking out Loan Insurance, you agree to a higher interest rate on your loan. The interest rate on your loan therefore consists of 2 rates combined: the basic interest rate charged by your financial institution plus an additional interest rate for the insurance.
This makes it possible to calculate the instalment premium based on the loan balance owing. Generally, the premium decreases as the loan balance decreases, since it automatically reflects the principal payments made. As a result, you pay a fair premium for the real risk that your loan represents.
- “Double coverage” advantage You can get a discount on your life insurance if you enrol in life insurance plus disability insurance
Find out more – Read the Loan Insurance Participant’s Guide
How to get this product
Loan Insurance is a Desjardins Financial Security Life Assurance Company product. Some restrictions apply.