Foundation history of the Caisse populaire de Noëlville limitée
It was in 1942, that three Noëlville farmers heard of the Quebec Caisse Populaire Movement. So, one of them, Mr. Jean Seguin, decided to order a few catechisms of the caisses. Upon reception of the booklets, he brought this idea to the Farmer’s Union (U.C.C.) meeting. Following the thorough study of the Quebec Caisse Movement, twelve members of the U.C.C. decided to form a study group consisting of 6 to 20 individuals meeting weekly at each other’s houses for a period of two years.
During a parish’s general meeting, the decision was taken to try to set-up a caisse and ask the provincial government for a charter. On the memorable day of August 17th, 1944, Mr. Thomas Kennedy, minister of Agriculture of the Ontario provincial government, signed the Caisse’s incorporation certificate.
The Caisse populaire de Noëlville was founded to serve the population of the Noëlville St-David’s Parish, because the closest banking services were in Verner and Sudbury, Also, the founders wanted to promote a spirit of economy for the French Canadians while letting them control their venture’s destiny.
Among the Caisse’s founders, was the parish’s priest, Father Jean-Marie Leclair who supported them in their tasks. The main person responsible for the caisses in the Nipissing-Sudbury region, Mr. Omer Legault of Sudbury, was instrumental in contributing his time and expertise at the beginning of the Caisse of Noëlville.
At the outset, the Caisse was situated in a room in the house belonging to the manager, Mr. Émile Dupuis, up until 1950. It was then moved successively in the cooperative, Mr. Rodolphe Prevost’s barber shop and municipal office.
After only one year of operation, the Caisse’s assets were at $22,115. Due to the vigilance and devotion of the first manager, Mr. Emile Dupuis, the Caisse expanded so rapidly that after 5 years, it had 275 members and the assets had increased to $30,000.
Since so many people were using the Caisse’s services, in 1958, a teller was hired. The Caisse’s progress didn’t stop there. In 1970, with assets of $795,000 and close to 1,100 members, the Caisse contemplated constructing its own building and moving out of the municipal office which it had occupied since 1966.
In 1972, the Caisse had its own building constructed on St-David street north which it occupied until 1992. The Caisse then had a more spacious building constructed to better serve its members.
In 1977, the Caisse joined the integrated caisses system. (SIC) This computer system permitted the Caisse to offer its members a much faster service and also the option to deal directly with the other caisses already affiliated with the SIC system.
In 1979, the Caisse joined with L’Alliance des caisses populaires de l’Ontario limitée which regrouped ten caisses. After 10 years with the SIC system, the Caisse changed its computer system and united with L’Alliance’s network who had created its own computer network. The Caisse can now print its own daily reports. This system was much more efficient and faster.
In August 2012, the Caisse begins major interior renovation. The interior now counts five enclosed offices and two office spaces for clerical staff. The work was completed in January, 2013 giving access to all member services. The renovation will also provide room for future expansion when needed.
The Caisse’s mission is to answer to its members’ personalized needs. The Caisse must maintain the highest quality of technology and it offers web banking, automated teller services, debit cards etc.
The Caisse has always played a big role in our community. Every year, the Caisse gives back dividends to its qualified members. The Caisse also helps out different associations in its parish by giving donations for various activities.